What Is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is the stiffness of your joints, and tenderness of the muscles around your neck, knees, backbone, and your hips. Due to the stiffness, movement of your joints becomes difficult and become extra sensitive to even the mildest pressure.
Fibromyalgia is the second common disorder in the world and is difficult to diagnose. Arthritis symptoms are similar to those of Fibromyalgia. Therefore, some experts put these two disorders in the same group. However arthritic pains are specified areas while fibromyalgia pains are widespread throughout your body. At Oklahoma Physical Therapy our trained therapists will personalize your treatment to help alleviate the fibromyalgia pain.
What Are The Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
The main symptom of fibromyalgia is pain in joints and related muscles. You may experience pain around the tissues of your neck, backbone, shoulders, and hips, which can persist for weeks and months.
There are other symptoms of fibromyalgia:
- Tightening of your muscles with burning and twitching pain
- Pain in your belly, and irritable bowel syndrome
- Dryness of your mouth
- Hyper-sensitivity to light, noise, heat, and cold
- Numbness of your face, hands, arms, legs, and feet
- Acute fatigue
- Less sleep or Insomnia
- Nervousness and Depression
- In severe cases, a loss of memory or forgetfulness.
What Are The Causes Of Fibromyalgia?
At this time the exact cause of fibromyalgia is not identified and is unclear. The following are a list of likely risk factors:
- Repetitive injuries
- A stressful or even traumatic physical or emotional event
- Rheumatoid Arthritis or other auto immune diseases
- Central Nervous System problems
What Are The Treatments Of Fibromyalgia
While there are no pills that can cure fibromyalgia there are several other treatments.
- stress reduction
- relaxation techniques.
- Education on ways to strengthen your joints and relieve pain from your deep muscles. This may include suggesting ways to change your daily routines that will exert minimum stress on the joints and muscles.
- Techniques that focus on controlling the fibromyalgia
- Re-education of maintaining proper posture of your body
- Tissue flexibility and reduction in the tenseness of the muscles. This is accomplished through stretching exercises.
- Regain of your self-confidence which will give you the courage to fight your condition.
- Ease pain and stiffness. This is accomplished through the use of ice and heat packs for hydrotherapy.
Contact Oklahoma Physical Therapy today to meet our physical therapists who are trained in all the above-stated techniques. You may also make an appointment by visiting http://oklahomaphysicaltherapy.com/make-appointment/.